WELCOME to the Boston Flute Academy, a world-class flute community for all ages and abilities!
LISTEN to the BFA Young Artist Flute Ensemble perform “Children of the Wind,” by Catherine McMichael (II. Moel Fammau) performing with their flute teacher Judy Grant and BFA Artist-in-Residence Brendan Ryan.
Boston Flute Academy Presented Guest Artist Catherine Payne of the San Francisco Symphony in a PICCOLO MASTERCLASS on Monday November 17, 2014 at the Maliotis Cultural Center in Brookline. It was absolutely fantastic!
BFA FALL 2014:
- FALL AUDITIONS for BFA ensemble classes and private lesson interviews are held at the Maliotis Cultural Center in Brookline. Contact us via email to make an appointment for an audition or consultation: firstname.lastname@example.org. You may find more information about our various programs here. Thank you for your interest in BFA’s 2014 Auditions.
- BFA kicked off the new season with a SCHOOL-WIDE EVENT on Saturday, September 20th, 2014 — THANK YOU to CAROL WINCENC of the Juilliard faculty for such a marvelous Flute Masterclass at Boston Flute Academy! BFA flute students performed works by Bozza, CPE Bach, Berbiguier, Muczynski, Karg-Elert. Ms. Wincenc also performed a CPE Bach Trio Sonata for 2 flutes & keyboard with BFA Flute Faculty David Houston and pianist Joy Cline Phinney! What an inspiring event from start to finish!
- YAMAHA ARTIST Suzanne Teng presented an amazing WORLD FLUTES CLINIC and PERFORMANCE at BFA on Saturday October 18th, 2014 from 12:30pm-2pm. Just fabulous! Many thanks to Suzanne and to the Yamaha Corporation for their continued support of music education.
- The Flying Flutistas presented two BODY MAPPING WORKSHOPS at BFA on Sunday October 19th, 2014. First workshop focused on BREATHING, and the second workshop focused on body awareness and “POSTURE THAT EMPOWERS”. We all learned so much! Many thanks to Vanessa Mulvey and Lynne Krayer Luke.
- Emi Ferguson plays in honor of 9/11 – click to listen to our BFA Honorary Alum.
- BFA proudly presented Piccolo Virtuoso Jean-Louis Beaumadier in his Boston Debut Concert on Saturday October 25th, 2014 at Maliotis Cultural Center. Click here for event page! “Jean-Louis Beaumadier is not only one of the finest piccolo soloists alive today, but also a remarkable musician. When he plays–whether a Telemann fantasia, the Bach Partita, Genin’s variations on ‘Carnival of Venice,’ or fiendishly difficult contemporary works by Damase and Donatoni, his listeners are first and foremost aware of the music. To hear and witness his virtuosity in person is an unforgettable experience.” – Leone Buyse
BFA ANNOUNCEMENTS & EVENTS:
- Scroll down this page to check out photo highlights for some of our amazing GUEST ARTISTS for 2014-2015!
- Flutist BRENDAN V. RYAN named BFA Artist-In-Residence for 2014-2015
- BFA Young Artist Elizabeth Sperry wins 2nd Prize in the 2014 National Flute Association High School Soloist Competition in Chicago, which follows her 3rd prize win in the 2012 NFA High School Soloist competition in Las Vegas! Elizabeth was also selected to the prestigious 2014 National Youth Orchestra of the United States of America. Elizabeth studied with BFA Director Judy Grant in Grades 9 – 12. To watch and listen to Elizabeth play Perilhou’s Ballade with BFA Staff Pianist, Deborah DeWolf Emery – TO LISTEN just click here. For a nice article in the Boston Globe on Sperry: TO READ click here.
- BFA Young Artist Alum Ji Weon Ryu is the 3rd Prize Winner of the 2014 National Flute Association Young Artist Competition, where she competed in four rounds of competition with flutists up through age 30! Ji Weon studied with Judy Grant in Grades 9-12 and is now a rising senior at Juilliard. Congrats to Ji Weon!
- BFA GALWAY FLUTE WEEKEND — A BIG SUCCESS! BFA proudly presented the Galway Flute Weekend on March 8th and 9th, 2014. Saturday night’s concert featuring performances by Sir James and Lady Galway along with BFA Young Artists was SOLD OUT! Sunday’s all day events included masterclasses by both Sir James and Lady Galway, a warmup session for all flutists with Sir James, a Q & A session with the Galways, a drawing of free prizes from our exhibitors, and the awarding of a Nagahara headjoint. Attendees were able to see and meet the Galways in the intimate setting of the Boston Flute Academy. Boston-area flutemakers and flute vendors exhibited instruments and accessories for all to try. What a great turnout from flutists all around New England! Special thanks to Nagahara Flutes and the Wm. S. Haynes Co. for their generous support of this event. For more information about the BFA Galway Flute Weekend, and to see a list of our exhibitors, please click here.
ALL DISTRICT AND ALL STATE NEWS:
- Eleven BFA flute students in Grades 9-12 were selected for the 2014 Massachusetts Senior Districts Festival, many with principal chairs and 9 with All State Recommendations! Congratulations to Sam Chestna, Michelle Chung, Yumi Lee, Amy Lipman, Ned Martenis, Molly Meath, Natalie Ramesh, Katie Scholl, Elizabeth Sperry, Ina Suresh, Sophia Zeng.
- Three BFA flute students in grades 7-8 were selected for the 2014 Massachusetts Junior Districts Festival: Congratulations to Isadora Loftus, Elizabeth McCormack, Sarah Peng, all members of the BFA Repertory Ensemble & Seminar classes.
RECENT BFA GRADUATES:
- BFA’s 2013 graduates secured fantastic college acceptances. Congratulations! Austin Hopkins was accepted to study at Boston University’s College of Fine Arts with John Heiss. Hyo Jin Jamie Park was accepted to study at the Peabody Conservatory with Marina Piccinini. Gretchen Herdrich is studying composition at the Boston Conservatory. Angela Koh is studying at MIT. Intensive Immersion Program graduate Oliver Villanueva is studying at the Oberlin Conservatory with Alexa Still.
- Congratulations to BFA’s 2012 graduates on their outstanding college acceptances! Brendan Dooley is now studying at Curtis Institute of Music with Jeffrey Khaner. Nicholas Fitton is studying at Peabody with Marina Piccinini. Emma Huelskamp was accepted to study with Susan Milan at Royal College of Music in London. Michelle Peters is studying at Yale. Jinji Zhang is studying with Timothy Day at the San Francisco Conservatory.
- Congratulations to the 2011 graduates of BFA for acceptances to top conservatories, in the U.S.and abroad! Jiweon Ryu is studying with Carol Wincenc at the Juilliard School in New York City. Catherine Jones was accepted to the Royal Academy of Music in London. Madeline Aiken is studying at the University of Michigan with Amy Porter. Mayuko Akimoto is studying at the Hochschule für Musik in Freiburg, Germany.
RECENT GUEST ARTISTS AT BOSTON FLUTE ACADEMY – FALL 2014
UPCOMING GUEST ARTISTS AT BOSTON FLUTE ACADEMY
Philip Dikeman — Julie Scolnik
Elizabeth Rowe — Cynthia Meyers — Na’ama Lion
BFA GUEST ARTIST HIGHLIGHTS 2013 – 2014
Sir James Galway & Lady Jeanne Galway — March 2014
Catherine Ransom Karoly — Eyal Ein-Habar — Laura Barron
Trudy Kane — Aldo Abreu — Vanessa Breault Mulvey
Emi Ferguson — Nicole Rabata — Geni Skendo
BFA at a GLANCE:
- Founded in 2008 by Boston flutist, Judy Grant.
- Offering ensembles, masterclasses, workshops, private flute lessons, concerts and more! Click here for our brochure.
- See our 2013-2014 Events & Masterclasses page and our News section for BFA program highlights.
- Located in Brookline, MA at the beautiful Maliotis Cultural Center. We also offer private lessons in Belmont, Chelmsford, Newton Upper Falls, and Jamaica Plain.
- For a summary of our 2013-2014 programs and class schedules, click here.
- Listen to and watch some of our alumni perform by clicking here.
- Please browse our website for information on our programs and classes, event schedules, our students’ accomplishments, general resources on flute and piccolo, and more!
- Advertise your concerts and instrument sales using our free listing forms!
- AUDITIONS for admission: We are currently accepting applications for study at BFA, space permitting. Click here to contact us about scheduling a consultation or placement audition for any of our Ensemble & Seminar classes (youth and adult) and private lessons.